The International Baccalaureate (IB) is a recognized leader in the field of international education. IB programmes encourage students to be reflective, active, and lifelong learners and critical thinkers. IB students are forever curious, fully engaged citizens who both embrace their own culture and are open and responsive to other cultures and views. Herbert A. Ammons Middle School was the FIRST authorized IB Middle Years Programme in Miami-Dade County.
Founded in 1968, the IB currently works with over 3,555 schools in 144 countries to develop and offer three challenging programmes to over one million students aged 3 to 19 years.
We value our hard earned reputation for quality, high standards, and pedagogical leadership. We promote intercultural understanding and respect, not as an alternative to a sense of cultural and national identity, but as an essential part of life in the 21st century. At its heart, the IB is motivated by a mission to create a better world through education. All of this is captured in our mission statement.
The International Baccalaureate® (IB) Middle Years Programme (MYP) emphasizes intellectual challenge. It encourages students aged 11 to 16 to make practical connections between their studies and the real world, preparing them for success in further study and in life.
School Accolades and Recognitions
• Recognized by US News and World Report in 2021 as the #17 ranked Middle School in Florida, the #10 magnet program in Florida and the #9 Middle School in Miami-Dade County.
• First fully authorized schoolwide International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program IBMYP in Miami-Dade County 2006-2007, reauthorized in 2010-2011 & 2015-2016
• Recognized as a National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence by the U.S. Department of Education, 2009 and 2018
• Recognized as a Merit School of Excellence/Distinction by Magnet Schools of America for over 10 years
• Recognized as a Nationally Certified Magnet School by Magnet Schools of America (MSA) in August, 2017
• This award recognizes schools exemplifying the five pillars of Diversity, Innovative Curriculum and Professional Development, Academic Excellence, High Quality Instructional Systems, and Family and Community Partnerships
• Earned an “A” school from the state of Florida from 2000 - 2019, NINETEEN STRAIGHT YEARS
• Recipient of the Five Star School Award from 2000-2019
• This award was created by the Commissioner's Community Involvement Council and is presented annually to those schools that have shown evidence of exemplary community involvement in the categories of Business Partnerships, Family Involvement, Volunteerism, Student Community Service and School Advisory Councils
• Golden School Award Recipient for over 10 years
• This award recognizes a school for volunteerism where the total number of hours in volunteer services equals twice the number of students enrolled in the school
• Rated as a top Middle School in MDCPS for student contribution in United Way, 2004-2019
• Recognized by Columbia Scholastic Press Association as an award winning Eagle’s Nest yearbook since 2010
• Winner of the Miami-Dade County Middle School Athletics Varsity and Junior Varsity All Sports Award recognizing the top sports program in the county
• Principal, Maria Costa, recognized as the South Region Principal of the Year 2017
Each year, with a unified spirit and pride in our blue and gold, we set out to soar to new heights. Whether in the academic realm or on the field, we are persistent in our pursuit of excellence. Herbert A. Ammons Middle School is committed to meeting the academic requirements and social needs of its entire learning community so that its members are prepared for the next stage in their lives. We are proud to be a National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence, Magnet Schools of America-School of Distinction, and achieved an A rating from the State of Florida for 19 years in row. I am thankful to work alongside a group of dedicated professionals that work together each year to design new plans and implement new strategies to reach our educational goals. I look forward to a truly amazing school year, where we chart a course for success that takes student learning far beyond the classroom.
Bio Coming Soon
Bio and picture coming Soon
IBMYP Coordinator / Magnet Lead Teacher
As the Middle Years Program (MYP) Coordinator I am responsible for the whole school implementation of the Middle Years Program. I work closely with staff to oversee implementation, establish a school MYP leadership structure, facilitate effective school partnerships to include vertical articulation, provide support to teachers and students regarding MYP certification, create and maintain school-based training opportunities, prepare publications and promotional materials, and program monitoring and regulation compliance.